December 23, 2005

The Double-Edged Sword


Being an avid blog reader that I am (read - bloody kaypo), I frequently visit random blogs, and even blogroll them if they are interesting. I'm not ashamed to say that I do bookmark particularly notorious, controversial Malaysian and Singaporean blogs (I shall not link to them as they are already receiving as much publicity as they can get, but if you're another kaypo like me, you'll know who I'm talking about) and enjoy being a silent reader. Very seldom do I leave my mark on these sites, unless they really irk me.


Yet, as much as I enjoy visiting these sites, and waiting to see what these people are going to say next (I have to admit, six feet under all the expletives, these people do state some interesting points), I do wonder, what's the threshold of tolerance of one's words on the Internet? We are all accountable to what we say to the public, whether it's done verbally, or in writing because the words from our mouths AFFECT people, in ways small and large.

"Why play by the book?” you ask. "Can't we all just say what we think is true? Hey, it's my mouth, and I can say whatever I wish! Freedom of speech, y'all!" As much as we can deny it, or play it down, when freedom of speech is over-exercised, it can trigger a chain of events that may blow out of proportion.

Recently, a famous blogger commented on the politically incorrect words used for an upcoming holiday season. The person happened to touch on religion, which triggered a mixture of response in the blogosphere. This person's intention was not to attack any religion, rather, to poke fun at the exaggerated use of PC (politically correct) terms in the US. Unfortunately, the post brought about a lot of negativity in the readers, especially since certain religious terms were used. This caused a stir amongst a lot of people of different races. They appealed to the blogger to remove a certain controversial picture from the site, but the blogger remained adamant that he only stated what he believed in. This, of course, sparked an outrage amongst the readers, especially the ones of a certain race.

After reading the heated debate from commenters regarding that post, I can't help but wonder (and worry) about the repercussions of such an article. One may think that this is such a trivial matter now, but what happens if the mere discussion escalates to what could ultimately become a hate crime?

We have learnt from young, that religion is a touchy subject to discuss amongst people of different races and different beliefs, unless it is necessary. Even then, we have to choose our words carefully. It is difficult to maintain an open mind and heart when the debate escalates without the feeling of wanting to smack the other person and saying, "you don't know what you're talking about". At the end of the discussion, what is left is more of than not, an awkward silence. I am not saying that it is something that we should sweep under the carpet. We live in a multi-cultural society, which makes us unique. Harmony amongst the different races is essential to maintain the peace in our country. Embrace the difference and practise a little tact in our words.

Standing our ground with our words is one thing. Causing discord with our words which may lead to unwanted consequences is quite another. This may seem rather far-fetched to one, I know, but if my words could ultimately lead to the misfortune of others, I would rather shut up and keep them to myself. Call me a coward if you will, but I would rather treasure life than to fight for a cause which results in the mishap of others. A cause or a belief worth fighting for is one that cherishes life, not one that scorns it.

Having said all that, it does not mean that we are to be hermits, hiding under our comfortable little shells, and let the world step all over us. A little discernment and discretion go a long way. Words out of the mouth (or, in this case, onto a public blog) cannot be retrieved. We are not computers, which can "undo" the actions we did, or the things we said. Taking words back, unfortunately, means nothing. The damage is done.

Wars began from the words of a person. The tongue is a double-edged sword. It can make you, but it can also break you.

No comments: