June 27, 2005

Hot Summer

It's been quite some time since I've posted anything. Life's been pretty good here. Work's been picking up, and the relationship between my colleague and I am improving. The project itself is getting tougher, but I am picking up a lot of useful skills and knowledge, which is a boon in disguise. Granted, I won't be here long, so any amount I can squeeze out of the Japanese, the better!

My weekends have been really fun and hectic. A couple of weeks ago, I spent my weekend at Odaiba with a couple of friends. The place is absolutely gorgeous, with its beautiful, futuristic buildings and all. My absolute favourite place there would be the National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation (aka Miraikan). We spent almost the entire day there! Venusfort was lovely too. It is a shopping mall in the style of a 18th century South European town.

Last weekend, I went to Ginza, Roppongi Hills and Yokohama. Ginza and Roppongi Hills are very exclusive, high-end shopping areas (aka places which I can never afford to shop at). Wanted to go to a salsa club at Roppongi, but it was closed when we went there. Shucks. Yokohama's gorgeous too.

The temperature is fast rising in Japan. Summer is hitting us full-blast. This morning's temperature was a hot 31C. I don't even want to think of how hot it's going to be in July, which temperature can hit up to 38C (what the heck, it was already 36C yesterday). It's also bloody hot in the office. No thanks to the Japanese government who encouraged the Japanese to keep their air conditioner temperature at a ridiculous 28C to conserve energy, these people are actually keeping to that rule. It is no wonder that I am hardly seen without a fan. I try very hard not to accidentally fling the fan and hit someone because I do fan myself quite furiously. Walking outdoors is such a feat as one feels as though he/she's stuck in a perpetual oven. Yet, the Japanese wear at least 2 layers outdoors. For the love of me, WHY???

4 comments:

Adrian said...

I am beginning to hate the summer too. Nothing but the sweltering heat. Its the time of year to stay indoors and turn the air conditioner on full blast at 16 degrees!

beetrice said...

hmm...what to do...u dunno ah...we asians psycho one..hands up all those who've got ex-highschool mates that used to wear SWEATERS over their uniforms in the morning back in school...haha..see??

charmedcookie said...

don't tell me that it's compulsory to wear long sleeved blouse to work? oh bligh me...

Tine said...

oh thank God we don't have to wear a long-sleeved blouse to work. Still, the ladies here love to wear like a million layers despite the heat. A friend of mine wore a camisole under her baby tee today. Bloody hell, I wanted to remove mine 'cos it was so hot :(
They do have a company jacket which some of them wear though. Over my DEAD body am I EVER going to wear that! *shudder*
ps: Err...Bea, I think I was one of 'em schoolgirls *blush*