February 29, 2008

Yummy Bruschetta

A good thing about this break I'm having from work (still looking for one, okay? OKAY?!) is that I have all this time to do the stuff I like, and also to expand my limited cooking skills.

So today, I thought I'd make my favourite snack for lunch - bruschetta.

Bruschetta

Absolutely yummy, and so easy to make. Got the recipe online, modified it a little to suit my taste. Man, for so little ingredients, the restaurants sure overcharge the snack, huh?

Ingredients
French stick loaf
Firm ripe tomatoes (1 or 2, depending on the number of servings)
Red onion (be careful with this one; it's spicy if you put in a lot. You can also use white onions, but they don't taste as good)
Crushed garlic
Chopped basil (you can use the fresh ones, or the dried ones. Today, I used the dried ones)
Salt and pepper
Olive oil

Method
1. Chop the tomatoes and onions finely, and place them into a bowl.
2. Add garlic and basil, and stir through.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Drizzle the mixture with olive oil and stir.
5. Slice the French loaf and brush each slice with olive oil.
6. Grill slices until toasty brown (medium heat; check the pieces to make sure they don't turn out rock hard)
7. Spoon mixture onto the bread.
8. Enjoy!

My very first bruschetta. Tasted pretty good too ;)

4 comments:

Lingzie said...

looks yummy!! i love love love bruschettas.... and yeah they are overpriced at restaurants...should learn to make my own! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow ... Yummy!!!

They are really nice but too bad I have no time to learn how to make 'em.

Tine said...

Lingzie: I know! Yeah you should; it's so easy, you'd know it in a sec ;)

Kyels: You should really try it out; it takes only 20 mins (preparation + baking) :p

Anonymous said...

so amazing!
i did my first last wkend too. and my colleagues loved it. i used cherry tomatoes / roma tomatoes