November 11, 2005

Bloody Workoholics


If there is one thing to be thankful for, for my time in Japan, it would be that it opened my eyes to see the way people here work. I thank my lucky stars every day that I do not live here, nor work here (permanently, that is), and that I shall be home soon.

These people are complete workaholics. They work till midnight, and still find the energy to come to work early the next morning. Hey, I would totally understand if there's a rush in the deadline of a project, or just that time of the year where one will be very busy with a heavy workload, thus having to stay at the office till the wee hours of the morning. This is not the case. This happens every day, every week, every month, every year. Of course, the income they receive in turn is a lot more lucrative than mine, but that does not mean that life begins at work, and ends at work.

When I was sick in Japan, I went to the company clinic to see the doctor for some medicine, and if I could have an MC to take a day off to rest at home because I was feeling really poorly. Imagine my surprise, and horror, so to speak, when I was told that there was no such thing as an MC given by the doctor. The policy is "if you are fit enough get off your ass to see the doctor, you are fit enough to work" (my words, not theirs. But close enough). My trainer told me to go home and rest. In Malaysia, with an MC, you can justify your day off work (to set the record straight, I have never misused the priviledge of MCs). In Japan, you're just taking a day off work. Period. And that's not good. I took a half-day off today for personal reasons, and I was ticked off for "playing hooky", even though I justified my reasons (never mind me rushing back, missed lunch, and started work immediately when the rest are off at lunch, of course) in advance.

I can't help it if I fall ill whilst in Japan, especially during the changing of seasons. I can't help it if I need a day to rest at home because of it, rather than to bust my brains and my health at work. I can't help it if I wish to go home early (when I say early, I mean leaving an hour and a half AFTER office hours are over) after a hard day's work of busting and over-saturating my brains the whole time, and yet speaking to almost no one. What is the point of staying on to work, when I simply cannot think anymore? Sure, I could stay on and surf the Internet at the office at the pretence of working hard till late hours, as many are prone in doing, but I chose to go home instead. Is that so wrong?

Having said all that, I'm sure you would think that I'm not cut out for work. Or lots of work for that matter till I have to practically live at the office. Or that I have to work even though I'm sick. You're right. I'm not. I am a responsible person, and if there's a need for it, I accommodate to my best. If the work needs to be done, I plan my time to get it done to meet the deadline. Sometimes that would mean that I stay back a little later to get it done. Sometimes that is not even necessary. It does not mean I'm not interested in my work. Either way, as long as I get the job done on time, get off my back. I earn my keep, you earn yours. Just don't expect me to be like you.


No comments: