March 21, 2006

An Indecent Proposal

So there I was, walking around in town, minding my own business, when out of the blue, a Japanese man beckoned me to him. You know that look someone gives you, which makes you think you know the person, but can't quite remember where from? Anyways, I had no idea who this man was. Perhaps he was a friend of my parents.

"...[Japanese gibberish] ..."

I looked at him, with my usual bloody-hell-I-have-no-idea-what-you're-saying look.

"Huh?"

"...[Japanese gibberish] ..." he muttered, while swinging his arm up and down, imitating someone drinking.

Okay, this person's losing me big time.

"Excuse me, do I know you?", I said, in perfect English, I might add, just to intimidate him (hey, I was getting a little freaked out).

"You and me, let's have coffee together. Now?", he answered, in broken English.

I looked at him blankly.

"Err ... no."

I walked off, leaving him with his mouth a little gaped.

Hey, I'm all for guys hitting on me (*wink*), but it doesn't help if the guy's a middle-aged, hamsap-looking (i.e. perverted) uncle. Especially if he goes around asking perfect strangers out for a drink. He could be just looking for someone to have an English conversation with (it happens a lot here, as the Japs rarely get a chance to practise their English) or not, I'll never know. Although I'd have to say, I never did give him (nor anyone for that matter) the impression that I spoke any English now, did I, since I'm practically mute when I'm on my own? Hmmm ... oh well. No harm, no foul.

Still, if the next one's a cute Japanese fella, I'd be telling you a different story *grin*.

No comments: