October 20, 2005

Earthquake!

The Japanese archipelago is located in an area where several continental and oceanic plates meet, which is the cause for frequent earthquakes. However, in the 8 months that I've been in Japan, I have NEVER felt so much as a tremor. My colleagues have felt it so many times, it was no longer a big deal. I was oblivious to any shakes or tremors. Either I sleep through it, or ... heck, I just don't feel it. When the earthquake that hit Aceh in December 26, 2004, the aftershocks could be felt all the way in Penang. My friends told me about the buildings shaking, etc. I felt absolutely nothing.

Imagine my delight (?) when I felt my first tremors yesterday. I was playing Age of Mythology (yeah, I know, old game) on my notebook yesterday, with my back leaned against the wall, when I felt the entire building shaking. It lasted for almost 10 seconds before the tremors stopped. I was actually more excited than scared. How freaky is that?

Checked out the news this morning, and read this: M6.2 quake hits Kanto, Tohoku.

Aaaah. I wonder when I'll feel it again.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Oddball ;)

No comments: