October 26, 2005

Protect Your Equipment


There's been a lot of hoo-hah going on about the new iPod Nano, and about how it's flimsy and it's screen is scratched excessively during normal usage. Apparently, the Nano's defectiveness is on the film of the plastic resin that covers it to protect it from damage. Previous versions of the iPod were coated with thicker and stronger resin.

Lawsuit claims iPod Nano scratches easily

Now, being an owner of an iPod Mini and an iPod Nano, I do admit that the Nano is a lot flimsier than the other versions of iPods, but that does not mean that I'm going to allow it to be damaged that easily either. The iPod Nano was built for versatility and mobility, which means you can carry it around on your front and back pockets of your jeans without the unsightly bulge. I know it's small, but it would definitely be a good idea if you REMEMBER to take it out of your back pocket when you're sitting down. Also, be sensible - do not put your Nano and keys in the same pocket. Due to the way the Nano is made, you cannot avoid leaving fingerprints nor scratches on the metal back, but there are ways to prevent scratches on the screen.

Friends would tell you that I have a case/pouch/bag/sack/etc for simply everything - I have a pouch for my mobile phone, MP3 players (I actually have three MP3 players, but two were gifts, so there), PDA, electronic dictionary, etc. I even have protective bags for my bags, for goodness' sake (okay, that's probably not such a good thing to reveal to the world, but hey, they're very important, okay? I value my bags!). My point is, if you're going to splash thousands of ringgit on something, then have the right mind to protect it. I'm not saying that you have to spend a lot of money to buy extra protective accessories for your electronic items. My iPod Mini's leather case cost me over RM100, but the case for my Nano and mobile phone cost me RM5. A dear friend gave me an expensive PDA metal case once, and once that was worn out, I used a RM10 case on it. Invest on protective screens for your digital camera, iPods, PDAs, etc. They may be expensive at first glance, but believe me, the scratches you get on them instead of your electronic items will save you a LOT of heartache.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to scour the Internet for a cool case for my Nano ;)

No comments: