August 31, 2005

Happy Independance Day

I was initially going to post today's entry in Malay, but then I realised that my Malay was certainly "manyak men-chia-lat-kan" (horrendous, so to speak), so I'm not even going to bother trying.

My beloved country achieves 48 years of independance today. In my years of life, I have been to many countries, and stayed in a few for a longer period of time than just mere holidays. As much as I enjoyed myself overseas, I cannot help but feel a swell of pride and belonging everytime I come home.

Malaysia is a land of opportunities, and what we call "tanah bertuah" (that's "lucky land", in Malay). Someone once told me, in jest, that if he were to spit watermelon seeds anywhere on Malaysian soil, that's where the watermelons will grow. I can't help but think that it is true. We are spared from major natural disasters (of course, I shall not go into the haze situation in Malaysia; after all, I'm supposed to sing praises about my country today ;)), we have lovely beaches, and most of all, we have the best food any other country can offer.

Here's to you, Malaysia Tanahair-ku, to 48 years of glorious independance, and to many more years to come. Of good things. Of cabbages and kings (sorry, I couldn't help it *grin*).

Selamat Hari Merdeka.


No comments: