August 27, 2005

The Price of Beauty

I just spent 4 hours in the hair salon; I had my hair straightened. Granted, my hair's been coloured, permed, straightened, recoloured...you get the picture. I'm not all that bothered about the quality of my hair anymore, not after the first hair colour job. Y'know, there is something about gettin' your hair coloured for the first time ... hmmm ...

Ahh...but I digress. The point was that I was on my bum the entire time my hair was subjected to the hair straightener. Not to mention my scalp had been burnt several times with the iron too. Of course, I come out of the salon with my hair in a better shape than it was before I walked into the salon.

This got me thinking ... what is the price of beauty we women endlessly pay in order to look good? Albeit a hefty sum, what I paid for my hair job is trivial compared to what other women have paid to look good. And it's not just a matter of money when it comes to cosmetic makeovers; it's the time and energy these women invest in order to keep their skin tight, bust firm, skin cellulite-free, etc. Botox (cow poison??), nip 'n' tuck, liposuction, collagen injections, etc ... are they all worth it? At the end of the day, why are we so worked up about how we look? Are we simply subjecting ourselves to such a plight to impress the opposite sex? Although I must admit, the confidence of a woman does improve when she looks good (or even thinks that she looks good).

Men are not spared from the need of cosmetic makeovers. They are seemingly interested in getting their fair share of the scalpel and needle too. I guess crow's feet do not avoid the men too, huh?

I sometimes wonder, if I have that amount of money to spare, would I get a cosmetic makeover? A smaller nose, smaller hips, or a bigger bust? Sounds tempting, huh? Still, I'd prefer to age gracefully rather than end up another
Joan Rivers.

Having said all that, I have to say, I only spent 4 hours at the salon today, which is little, compared to the previous times I was at the salon (record time was 8 hours). Call me shallow, but I came out of the salon feeling pretty good, despite having to nurse a sore rear.

Heh.

No comments: